My photo
grateful daughter/protective sister/committed friend/surrendered believer/adventure finder/hope seeker/servant-of-love

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Persecution: expect it

I'm always amazed at how those who are doing the most good in this world are the ones who are treated the worse.

This is from an email I received from China Aid:

PSB Officers Beat Pastor's Son
Around noon on October 16, Zhang Jian received an urgent phone call from his mother. Plainclothes Public Security Bureau (PSB) officers had broken into her upstairs apartment and were throwing all the family's belongings out into the street: "When I got there, I saw my mom lying on the ground being knocked down by these thugs ... I tried to use my body to protect my mom from being hurt by them. Then this group of 15 officers immediately surrounded me and started beating my head and body with iron bars and said, 'We need to teach you a lesson as a troublemaker.'"

The violent attack lasted 25 minutes. Authorities persecute this family simply because they are Christians. Their ministry to orphans and house churches - ordinary Christian activities - are considered crimes in China. Zhang Jian was severely injured in the attack and needs immediate surgery. His family is now in hiding with nowhere to live. His father is missing, believed to be kidnapped by authorities.


Brother Yun says in his book Heavenly Man that Christians in non-persecuted areas should not pray for the persecution to stop, but to pray for the Christians in the persecuted parts of the world to stand firm in their faith and endure their trials with strength that can only come from the Lord. He also reminds us to pray for the salvation of those doing the persecuting and for them to come to know God and learn to love Him. This is coming from a man who has gone through some of the most horrendous pain and persecution because of his love for Jesus. We as followers of Jesus should expect persecution and pray that when it does happen, we will stand firm to the end and hold on to the truth and love of God.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Mariko,
Have you read the book Safely Home by Randy Alcorn?
I immediately thought of it when reading this post. It's about a Chinese Christian family taking part in a secret house church in China.
Really fascinating. I recommend it.

Jessica

Unknown said...

1. Is it nerdy that I always post a comment on your blog?

2. I am always amazed at the faith of these people. Awesome.

lenamarie said...

I can't believe this kind of persecution still goes on today. That may sound naive, but I'm just floored that "modern" people could think it's ok to treat their fellow human beings so barbarically.