My photo
grateful daughter/protective sister/committed friend/surrendered believer/adventure finder/hope seeker/servant-of-love

Friday, November 7, 2008

Texas Lingo

I've been living in the great state of Texas for about 5 months now, and within that time span, I've observed some new lingo that you just don't here in California. Here are some examples of what I'm talking about:

Y'all
Sentence: "Y'all are a hoot!"
Now, this one everyone knows is used, but more commonly in the south and hardly ever on the west coast. I absolutely refuse to use this and make a conscious effort to never make a contraction out of the words "you" and "all" and will always resort to "you guys."

Fixin'
Sentence: "I'm fixin to get me some chaps."
This word isn't even recognized by Wiki so that right there just proves it's not legit. I've never heard this word used like that before I came out here. I don't even really know how to correctly translate it. I'm thinking it's along the lines of "planning" to...whatever. Here I've always thought that "fixing" something meant to mend what is broken...boy was I wrong.

Yankee
Sentence: "The yankee accent is hard to understand."
That was the actual sentence I first heard that word used in that sense before. I was with work buddies Jessica and Erin. =) As they continued talking, I'm thinking in my head, "I never noticed the baseball team ever having a strong accent before..." Yankee refers to, I'm guessing, those in the north-eastern region or specifically New Yorkers. Now I know.

The absence of "the"
Sentence: "Take Loop 1 south and get off at Braker."
In CA, with all our freeways that are numerical (which is all of them), we institute a "the" in front of the number. "You take the 91 to the 57 and get on the 22." Now, here in Texas, when we say something along the lines of, "We live off the 1" it's usually quickly followed by, "AHHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!"... Got it; lose the "the."

3 comments:

lenamarie said...

Don't they say "interstate" instead of "freeway" or "highway" down south too?

Brits get anal about the use of "the" too.

Unknown said...

I heart Tejas.

Yes, they use interstate.

Here I thought Yankee was in reference to something about the Civil War.

Apparently So Cal is the only part of this world to use "the" in front of freeways. I will continue to, even if I go against all that is right and true in this grand state. And if I ever use the phrase "y'all, I'm fixin to (fill in blank)" please sock me in the face.

Holler for Cali pride in Tejas. :)

Jaci Bounds said...

I do all 3 of these in Oklahoma. Hope we can still be friends.