My photo
grateful daughter/protective sister/committed friend/surrendered believer/adventure finder/hope seeker/servant-of-love

Monday, April 6, 2009

Blessed, Chemistry, and Boyz

Let's sum up my weekend, shall we...

Blessed
I spent Friday evening with a group of high school girls who have gone through and are still going through situations that no one should ever experience in their lives. They have met pain, evil, sorrow, cruelty, and abandonment face to face. They are broken. They struggle. They fall. They get back up. And they try to be better next time. Without a doubt, these girls love Jesus with their whole heart. They sometimes make mistakes, just like me. But their mistakes come with bigger consequences. These girls are loved. They are beautiful. They are made to do great things. They are daughters of a Mighty King. Being among them Friday evening sharing their stories, their struggles, their honesty, I walked away overwhelmingly blessed.

Chemistry
Let me just begin this by saying I barely passed chemistry in high school. Barely. My teacher was young, hip and felt sorry for us retards that just couldn't figure out the equation for momentum. So when asked to help tutor chemistry at Reagan high school Saturday morning, you can imagine what was going through my head. @%$&??? But I was told by the chem teacher that really my presence is all that matters to these kids. Get there on Saturday morning and there are several lab stations set up that each kid needs to finish. I put myself at probably the most simple chemistry lab ever. Physical and chemical changes. It turned out to not be as bad as I nightmared it to be. =) I'm just hoping I didn't confuse these poor students more.

Boyz
Now for the highlight of, not just my weekend, folks, but probably my lifetime: BOYZ II MEN!!!!!!!! Jamie told me on Friday about the Urban Music Fest going on with special guests being none other then our fine Boyz from Philly. I about peed my pants upon hearing this news. Only $15 for a dream to come true?!?!?! Heck stinkin yes!! We went down to Auditorium Shores Saturday evening and experienced epicness beyond my wildest dreams. They came out doing their thing to Motownphilly, they grooved Motown hits with suave, they swooned me with On Bended Knee, and they made me want a husband with I'll Make Love to You. That may have been too much information, but DANG, it was THE BOYZ! They still have style, class, and smooth moves. Nathan, Shawn, and Wanya, you guys brought it and I can now die a happy gal. And no worries, friends, I have like 7 minutes of Boyz footage on it's way. =)

1 comment:

Jaci Bounds said...

What a great ministry you have to students Mariko! They are blessed to have you! AND I cannot wait for the Boyz footage. I'm so happy that you got to experience that! :)