My photo
grateful daughter/protective sister/committed friend/surrendered believer/adventure finder/hope seeker/servant-of-love

Thursday, February 26, 2009

LIVID

Yesterday I randomly became overwhelmingly LIVID.

Here's what was going through my mind when this LIVID-ness entered my body.

America is in a bad economic crisis right now. I'm pretty sure most will agree that's the case when your nation is $700 billion in debt.

California is pretty much almost bankrupt with a $40 billion budget deficit.

Due to this budget crisis in America, where's one of the first places this money is going to come out of??? The school system. I have several teacher friends back home and all of them don't know if they will have jobs next fall.

BUT, no worries,....the highest sports contract ever in history was just given to Mr. A-Rod. $275 million. I'm LIVID. I repeat: I'm VERY LIVID. What is wrong here?!?!?!?! Anyone?!

Now, let me make it clear that I love sports and sporting events. I grew up going to California Angel games all the time...back when there were only 8 of us in the stands and 4 of them being my fam. I love watching sports live. I do. And I really do believe that sports has a way of bringing community amongst a group of people, whether it be by location or obsession.

What I can't seem to wrap my mind around is why we are paying more money to entertainers and athletes and taking away from those who are actually making a difference in this world by molding and shaping the future of our nation.

I'm not a political person nor do I know much about government and economics and all that fun stuff. I'm not sure how it all works with how, when, where our money is spent. I don't even know if there is someone who is in a position to be able to say, "Ya know, maybe this isn't the wisest use of money right now with our country in a $700 billion debt crisis."

I just don't get it. All I know is that A-Rod and way too many more pro athletes and celebrities are sitting on more money than my mind can ever comprehend just for entertaining us, while my friends who work their butts off to raise up children who will do great things in life, will be out of jobs in a few months.

...thus, my LIVID-ness...



1 comment:

Erin Mills said...

I think you should a link to your post to the Governors of Texas, California and New York... Maybe even to President Obama to express your concerns.... I think your livid-ness is well deserved, and too legit to quit.