My photo
grateful daughter/protective sister/committed friend/surrendered believer/adventure finder/hope seeker/servant-of-love

Monday, January 19, 2009

Africa

I went to Africa the summer of '07 and I haven't been the same since. There are so many amazing places in this world that are cool to visit, but Africa is one of those places that needs to be experienced by all. Not only are you overwhelmed by this vast canvas that God used to paint the land with His glory, but you will encounter beauty in the things you never knew possible. In the midst of the slums, conditions you could never fathom existed let alone inhabited by people, you will find children and women singing and dancing because they have an inexplainable joy that can't hold them still. You will have a conversation with a man who has found healing, forgiveness and love in His Savior and has turned his life around to devote himself to minister to others in broken places.

You will also look into the faces of children who have lost either one or both of their parents. You will pass by many who are infected with diseases that could have been prevented. You will encounter young women who have been brutally taken advantage of at an early age so that a man could "cure" himself of AIDS. You will see a nation living under corrupt leadership and the fear that goes along with that.

Amongst all this, these people end up teaching you more than you could ever show them. I went with the intentions to serve them in whatever way they needed and to be a blessing in some way to them. I came back overwhelmingly humbled at the hospitality these people lavished on us and I was inspired by their lives.

I say all this because I believe EVERYONE could use Africa in their lives. Mocha Club is a non-profit organization that I've supported for awhile and have fell in love with their heart for sending help to Africa where it's needed. They have trips going to Africa this year and are looking for people who have compassion and love overflowing from their hearts to join them. If interested, you can go HERE. If you have never been or are looking for who to go with, this would be the perfect organization to go with.

I'm so excited because one of my good friends, Lena, is actually going to be going on one of the trips to Africa with Mocha Club this year. I can't wait to hear how God rocks her world through this experience.

Africa is almost addicting. While I was there, I was already planning my next trip to go back. It is a life changing experience and I pray that you will each have the opportunity to "need Africa."



1 comment:

lenamarie said...

Did you link this to the "I need Africa more than Africa needs me" thing for Mocha Club? That's a great post.
I'm excited.