My photo
grateful daughter/protective sister/committed friend/surrendered believer/adventure finder/hope seeker/servant-of-love

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

community

I have been praying about going on a missions trip this year for the past several months. I was overwhelmingly excited to see that there were so many opportunities to go serve all over the world through my new church here in Austin. I thought my main problem would be to choose which one to go with.

As I have been asking God for wisdom with decisions regarding not just missions trips, but with every aspect in my life I have been sensing a theme that has continually popped up lately. Community. More specifically, the love that is shared within a community. This theme has popped up in the most random ways too; movies, sermons, family, friends, and even tough circumstances. I've been seeing the importance of community and the love that is shared among the people.

My family, in this country and in Japan, are a part of my community. My tight friends who are spread across the U.S. are my community. My friends here in Austin are a part of my community. Work peeps are a part of my community.

I have a close friend who is a great example of someone who has always placed the people in her life above all other material things and circumstances. Wherever there is a friend or loved one in need, you can guarantee she will be there in a matter of a day or 2. Whether it's being support for a friend going to a funeral or a friend who has a speaking engagement, being there for friends giving birth or going through a tough time, or just being there for the sheer giggles of it, she's always up for it. I am so encouraged by her portrayal of love to her community of family and friends and I am blessed to have her as my friend!

I have served in other countries and I know that will continue in my future. I'm drawn to go and touch the nations with God's love. But I'm realizing that I can do that right where I'm at now for the time being. I feel that the Lord has been showing me that I need to look around at my community and focus on loving them and spending time with them. I'm in a stage of life where I don't have a family of my own that I need to tend to and I want to take advantage of this time to spend time with those close to me.

What does that possibly look like for me this year? Going to CA for weddings and friends, going to Portland for a girls weekend, going to Japan to visit my grandparents, spending more time with friends here in Austin, visiting my family in NC and Florida, and just being available to my community.

God created us to be in community, to share our lives with others; the good, the bad, and the ugly. To do that, you also need to be available to the good, the bad, and the ugly in others and love on them.

So, friends, I dedicate this year to loving you with all that God's given me! Cheers to 2009!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Holler back to all of what you said. I agree - "Michelle" is awesome.

That's awesome what the Lord is showing you too - I'm excited to see how He uses this in your life :)